When getting a spray tan, there are certain expectations as to what the tan should look like as you leave. Everyone wants the smooth flawless application and for the color to process to their desired level of darkness. Even with a perfect application, there still is no guarantee that the bronzed skin will fade evenly. Not to say it’s impossible. The sunless spray tan solution binds only to the top layers of skin. The drier the skin is, the more prone you are to having dead skin cells fall off faster. On average people lose 30,000 to 40,000 skin cells per minute. By that calculation, by the end of this post, you will have lost about 240,000 cells (which by the way ends up as the dust you see around your house and then you end up breathing in). Now you can’t stop this process altogether, but you can slow it down enough to where it happens evenly throughout the body. If you add these few things into your routine, you won’t have to worry about it and will enjoy every second of your spray tan.
- Shower, shave and exfoliate 12-15 hours before your appointment. Really make sure you really scrub off any dead skin or leftover spray tan. You can use either an exfoliating mitt or a body scrub.
- MOISTURIZE. Drink water so your skin can stay hydrated on a molecular level and moisturize your skin on the days that lead up to the appointment but not the day of.
- On the day of your appointment do not put any lotion, oils, cologne/perfume, deodorant, makeup, or anything else on your skin. They will act as a barrier which will not allow the spray tan to attach to the skin properly.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing for when your tan is complete the friction from the clothes won’t rub off the solution from your skin.
- Keep all products off the skin for approx. 24 hours after your appointment.
- When it is time to wash off the spray tan, only use lukewarm water. No soap, no loofahs, no sponges etc. Rinse only and expect to see the bronzer come off in the shower. You will be lighter than what the finished product will be. It takes a full 24 hours for the tan to fully develop.
- Moisturize at least twice daily. Use our Tan Extender lotion every 2-3 days. It contains a hint of tanning ingredients that will help build and keep your spray tan vibrant.
- Once out of the shower make sure you pat dry with your towel. Don’t rub. The fibers from the towel will rub off your tan over time.
- Use our Body Wash that is packed with moisturizing agents that leave skin clean, hydrated and healthy will not strip the skin of its natural oils.
- Do not exfoliate at all. Nobody scrubs, no peels, no loofahs. Nothing that will remove the top layers of skin, so your tan can stay intact.
- Stay away from mineral oils. That is a colorless and odorless oil that’s made from petroleum—as a by-product of the distillation of petroleum to produce gasoline aka Vaseline. One word. EW. They don’t have any actual moisturizing abilities. They only prevent moisture from leaving the skin.
In other words: don’t rub your skin and stay moisturized. It is possible to look like you spend all your time lounging at the beach all year long. Getting an organic airbrush spray tan gives your skin that glow that will make your confidence skyrocket. Let your tan fade naturally and not worry about your skin getting blotchy. If you know of any other products or solutions to help a spray tan last, leave it in the comments below.