In the competitive industry of beauty, it is hard to stand out apart from the crowd and relinquish in your divine creativity.
From hair stylist to MUA’s to spray tanning technicians and everything in between, it seems that the beauty industry has not only got more competitive but even oversaturated.
So, for those who KNOW they have what it takes to be GREAT at what they do and to actually make a fulfilled living from it, what steps do you need to take to INSURE success?
I will let you in on a little secret… MARKETING and INNOVATING will make or break you. Here are 5 things you can do to keep the momentum up, you clients raving and the money rollin’ in…
- Know your clients. – From what they wear, to where they work, the successful beauty professional will have a clear vision of who they want to serve. You should be very familiar with your ideal client and who you want to cater to. With a clear understanding of who your ideal client is, you will be able to have a better understanding of how to market, where to market and who you will market to.
Know your competition. – Now, I am not here to promote stalking or even placing your energy towards worrying about what everyone else is doing… for the most part. What I am saying is that it is important to know what your competition is charging, what services and products they are offering and how you can improve on that. Be creative and be on top of your game when it comes to what you serve and how you serve it. The little details that you implement in your business will take a long way and will keep your clients coming back to you. I do want to add a disclaimer here, as I see it way too often, DO NOT focus so much on your competition that it leaves you feeling overwhelmed, unmotivated or angry. Simply, get the facts you need to get to ensure you are providing the best experience for your clients and leave it at that.
- Be consistent! – People don’t like change. People like to know that they are going to get the same service, every time. One mistake I made in my business was “testing” different tanning solutions on my clients and realizing, very quickly, that that was a huge mistake. Not only did I leave a bad taste in my clients mouth and lost their trust, I lost good, loyal clients and put a damper on my own reputation. Unless you are sure you are improving your clients experience, make sure you stay consistent with your customer service, your product and overall business etiquette.
- Continue your education. – If you think you know everything, you are wrong. You may be really, really, really good at what you do but I can assure you that there is always more to learn. Whether that comes from a technical aspect or from the business side of things, you and your business has room for improvement. I am continuously educating myself on how to serve my clients better by learning about advanced services, like contouring, competition tanning andmarketing. There are countless of programs to help you achieve more. Don’t settle for less than what you are capable of and I am sure your clients will appreciate you for it!
- Know how to market your business. – This is the golden ticket to all that there was, all that there is and all that there will be. Without marketing, your business will not be as successful as it should be. If you are really trying to get your name out there, gain the attention of new clients, you need to know how and where to market yourself. From my own experience, it is through online marketing that helped transform my business. It wasn’t until I had taken the time to researchSEO, add my business to Google, Yahoo, Bing and Yelp that I finally stopped chasing clients and they were contacting me… what a relief!
- Surround yourself with like-minded people who support you. – Some people will hate on your ideas, some people will support you and some just won’t care. I’ve had people who have tried to bring me down, people who came out of nowhere to tell me how much I inspire them and everything in between. I try to keep my circle small and include the people who I know truly love, support and inspire me to keep going. I hired a mentor who I know I can count on to let me know I am going in the right direction and I host a Facebook group that included like-minded women who love business as much as I do. Being able to throw ideas around, encourage one another and understand each other has been one of my favorite aspects of being a business owner. If you don’t have support, feel free to join us in ourBeauty Business Babes Facebook group here. If you are interested in working with a mentor in the beauty and health industries, you canschedule a free 30 minute consultation with me to see how we can help you and your business get moving in the right direction. Working 1:1 with a mentor can be life changing if it’s the right fit!Get laser focused on your vision, know who you are catering to, market to those people and do the absolute best you can do in serving them. I promise you, you will see the results of hard work, dedication, consistency and determination. It can be tough, but just keep on going. You can do it!